As a state agency, the University is exempt from North Carolina sales and use tax for qualifying purchases effective July 1, 2004.
The following items are NOT exempt from state sales and use tax:
- Prepared food and beverage taxes levied and administered by various local governments in the state.
- Occupancy taxes levied and administered by various local governments in the state.
- Highway use taxes paid on the purchase, lease, or rent of motor vehicles.
- State sales taxes levied on electricity or local, private, or toll telecommunications services.
- Scrap tire disposal tax levied on new tires.
- White goods disposal tax levied on new white goods.
- Dry-cleaning solvent tax levied on dry-cleaning solvent purchased by a dry-cleaning facility.
- Excise tax on piped natural gas.
- NC State’s Tax Exempt Form (E-595E) can be found on the University Controller’s website, under North Carolina Sales and Use Tax Exemption.
- North Carolina General Assembly, GS 105-164.13, Exemptions and Exclusions