1. Home
  2. Accounts Payable
  3. How do I void and reissue a check issued to a vendor or individual?

How do I void and reissue a check issued to a vendor or individual?

The process will differ depending on whether a check has been reported lost or missing, or if the university department or vendor has possession of the check. The following examples will help you decide how to proceed next:

The vendor or department is not in possession of the check (lost or missing)
1. The department will need to contact Andrea Turner, PO Invoice Processing Manager.

2. The AP Manager will verify if check has been cashed or returned.

3. If the check has not been cashed or returned, the department will need to provide vendor’s contact information to Sean Cather, Cash Management Accountant, preferably an email address.

4. Cash Management will contact the vendor to complete the Affidavit & Indemnity Bond to begin the reissuance process. It usually takes 30 days before payment is reissued to the vendor.

5. Once the notarized Affidavit & Indemnity Bond is received, Cash Management will complete a Void Request form to the Disbursement Coordinator to cancel or reissue.
Vendor or department is in possession of the check
1. On the front side of the check write “VOID”.

2. On the back side of the check, on the payment stub, or on a memo, write the reason the check needs to be voided. For example, “Void due to duplicate payment” or “Void to reissue due to incorrect name”).

3. Return the check and document(s) to:

Administrative Services Building II
2711 Sullivan Drive, Campus Box 7204
Raleigh, NC 27695
Attn: Gaines Burnett

4. The Disbursement Coordinator will review the void request and proceed with the necessary actions.
Updated on June 14, 2022

Was this article helpful?

Need Support?
Can't find the answer you're looking for?
Contact Support