Travel Reimbursements (TR) are not denied when personal travel is added to the trip. However, please keep the following in mind:
- The traveler must disclose their personal travel destinations and dates on the Travel Authorization (TA) and Travel Reimbursement (TR).
- The TA/TR is first approved by the traveler’s department.
- The Controller’s Office reviews the TR to verify that all requested expenses are business related.
- No personal travel expenses are reimbursed.
- The traveler should not purchase airline tickets for trips that include personal travel at a higher price than the business trip-only flight.
- If PCard expenses are included on the TR:
- A cardholder can add a document to the airfare transaction (in the PCard Center) that indicates the pricing for their airfare including personal travel is not more expensive than business travel.
- The Controller’s Office reviews the transactions for:
- duplicate charges on the reimbursement.
- the corresponding date range of the trip and the expenses.
- any personal charges.
- When a more expensive airline ticket or other personal travel-related expenses are discovered during the travel audit
- The Controller’s Office brings it to the attention of the department and/or the traveler.
- The Controller’s Office will request that the price difference be refunded to the university.
- The Controller’s Office will monitor the documentation of this transaction.